Friday, March 12, 2010

TIME FOR CHANGE?

Well, I've been thinking about my little family quite a bit lately. Since the new addition of Lu things have been stirred up a bit. Samantha is pretty good for the most part, but poor little Mason has had some struggles. He is really just wanting attention (mainly Ben's but none the less attention). So, in hopes of making my home a haven, and also keeping the spirit here on a more regular basis I have been doing some serious thinking. Alot of my thinking has been after an outburst (either by Samantha, Mason or probably Mommy), and that is when I need my solutions.

QUESTION #1
WHAT CAN I DO SO THERE IS LESS SCREAMING, CRYING AND FIGHTING IN OUR HOME?


Well, today after one of these outbursts I was sitting and just wondering what to do. I want my kids to be happy to be home. I want them to have simple lives as kids should. I don't think kids should cry and be sad so much, sure they should learn some little lessons, but constanlty sad and crying . . . .not so good.

As I was sitting and thinking I looked out the window and noticed what a beautiful day it was. So I put on my shoes (even though I was still in my jamms), got Sam and Mason's shoes on, made sure the baby was snug as a bug and we headed out into the backyard. Sam hopped on her bike, Mason grabbed his basketball and I got a rake and filled up a whole garbage can with pine needles. There was no wining, no crying and no fighting. We were just all out there together, helping and having fun. After I made the grass playable (picked up the poop, which Mason helped me find ALL of it), I brought the garbage can up. The kids pulled up some lawn chairs up next to the garbage can and just watched me fill it way high with pine needles. It was just so great. They were so happy, there is such a magical thing about being outside and letting little kids just be kids.

They got kinda hungry so we headed in for some snacks/lunch. Which was in perfect time, because Sam's carpool came for school. I put on my workout clothes and put Mace and Lu in the stroller. I figured it was so great outside we might as well stay out for a while. So we headed out on a run. We just ran and ran and ran. I didn't know where we were going, but one thing was for sure; we were having fun. Luella was asleep and Mason was loving looking and seeing everything. He kept telling me he didn't want to go home. So we finally ended our 6 mile run (which isn't an easy thing pushing a stroller) in just enough time. As if we hadn't had enough outside time, we headed over to Honey's and played in her backyard.

So in answer to my own question. . . . .

Taking my kids outside. Whether it be in our own backyard, a park, a jog or over to one of the grandma's houses. Little kids need the fresh air, and the space to roam and run. They love to get dirty, play pretend and just do whatever they want.

I am also going to try (try is the key word) to take Mason and Lu for a run on the days that Sam is in preschool. Just more outside time and Mom gets a run in. We both win.


Granted this won't solve all of our problems, and it will take time. It won't happen overnight, but it is a start. It is good to try new methods and see what works. It may work for some kids, and not for others. I will have to constantly be changing my PLAN, but for now we will see if this helps with the moods at our house.

There are alot of other questions that I have going through my mind, but for now, I will stick with the present concern . . . . making life a bit happier for my kids. I just want them to feel secure, happy and loved!


Whitney

0 comments: