Saturday, January 23, 2010

Painter's 1/2 Marathon and 5K

I signed up for a runners serries a few months ago with my sisters Hilary, Rebekah, Rebecca and my brothers Nicholas, McKay and Matt. We have all been training, some more than others getting ready for our first race of the series the Painters 1/2 and 5K down in St George.
My sister came and picked up the kids and Ben and I took off on the road. It was clear skies, really turning out to be a great drive. It was about 7pm and we were right outside of Fillmore and we started to hear a really strange and yucky noise with the car. We decided to pull of at Fillmore (good thing we did) As we were pulling off the off ramp, our car completely gave out. Yep, stopped working. Ben got out and pushed it half way up the street and then I got out and pushed it the rest of the way to the gas station. Lu got hungry so I fed her while Ben and a mechanic diagnosed the car.
The diagnosis is a new engine . . . . basically. I was just busting up, I handle the big things like a champ. Throw any large wrench in my way and I can handle it. It is the small things that get my feathers ruffled. We weighed our options of getting home, and getting the car home and finally decided that we would have the tow truck/AAA guy tow our car and take us in the cab with him. *side note* if you have AAA service I guess that you really need AAA+ Joanne and Jim said that we could use their AAA but it could only be towed about 5 - 10 miles. Well, that wouldn't have really made a dent in our way back to Salt Lake.
We all hopped into the cab of the truck, and made the journey back to SL. On the way back the weather wasn't with us. There was a time when I was really worried. The roads were so bad and we couldn't see the road or which way the road was going. But our driver was very confident in his driving, and he let us know about that. So after a long drive leaving Fillmore at 8pm and getting home at 11pm we were totally done.
Our trip that was supposed to be a simple drive down to George, 35$ for the race fee and staying at the St George House quickly made a turn for the worse into a 6 hour trip, 450$ tow back to Salt Lake, pringles for dinner, and a possible blown enginge.
So if you are wondering why there are no pictures of me at the finish line of the race, we didn't quite make it. And I totally forgot to get a pic of our cjute little subaru on the back of the tow truck. Needless to say, it wasn't a half bad night. It was a comfortable ride with no kids talking in my ear and Luella was an angel. She just slept the whole way. So I guess the real question is new engine or new car. It's a debate.

3 comments:

Posh Ideas said...

Whitney,
What a bummer! Cars are the worst. I'm so sorry you didn't get to run.

Patrick Rich said...

That just plain stinks guys....really, really stinks. Sorry about the race but even more sorry about the car. BAH! (Anna) Well Ben, you could see this as an opportunity to put an nice used EJ255 engine (the engine in my car) in your car, they would be about the same money...just my 2 cents. (Pat)

JENNILLE said...

You know you're a mom who needs a break when you enjoy the AAA towed ride. That's funny.

Sorry you couldn't do the race. But the good news is , you're still in shape ;)

Good posts