Monday, January 25, 2010

Crazy Monday

I always have some kind of plans for every day. You know the usual gym, laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping, volunteering at Ssam's school and the list goes on and on. We woke up this morning and Mason would not walk. He wouldn't put any pressure on his right leg. He just complained and wined and cried and crawled and wanted a heating bag on it. Well, sometimes the wining is normal, but the not walking . . . . that isn't normal. Especially for Mason, he is so active. He is always running and jumping around. I always say it is better so be safe than sorry. So I called and made and apt, made arrangements for Sam to go to a friends house before school, and let Sam's teacher know that I wasn't going to be coming to help out.
We get to the doctors and as I'm getting out, Mason won't walk and Luella can't walk, so I have to push a stroller and carry a 3 yr old. Fun right. Well the doctor came in and checked him out and couldn't figure it out, just like we couldn't. So better safe than sorry again, we headed over to get x rays of his foot, leg and hip.
We get in there and luckily Luella was asleep. I get Mason in the x ray room and he is freaking out. He was not happy to be there. I and another nurse had to hold him down to get the x rays. So they took about 6 or so pictures and went to make sure they all turned out. Nope, we still needed more. But by this time Luella was waking up, actually screaming cause she was so hungry. I stayed out and fed Luella while 2 nurses were in with Mason, holding him down to get some more pics. It was so sad, he was just screaming and crying, yelling for mommy. It was so heartbraking. I love my little guy and it was so sad that he didn't understand what was going on. After they took round 2 of x rays, they went to make sure they all worked. Well, lets do a round 3, what the heck. So this time, I handed Lu off to a nurse and went in with Mason. I held his hand and he didn't cry, he was so brave. I guess it just took 3 times to get him used to it.
I was so glad when it was all over and done with.
The nurse called later and said that the x rays came out clean. He did start walking and putting pressure on his foot while we were at the doctors. They just said to keep an eye on it.
But really, how often is it that you have some plans and then . . . change of plans. That is just the story of my life right now. I think it is also just called being the mom. I told my mom the other day that the most selfless act I think I will ever do is be a mom. I plan on going to the gym in the morning and the baby gets up to feed, so I don't go and don't make it at all. I plan on going to help out at Sam's school and something unexpected somes up and I don't go. I've just some to realize that my reality is that the things that I want and need (working out, quiet time, time with Ben, running errands, ect) are quickly replaced with the things that my kids want and need. When you get up with your kids around 7 am and are with them non stop until 10 pm, that makes for a very long day. And there isn't alot of me time, or ben and me time. I guess I just never realized that mom wasn't really the right name for me when I started having kids. I think that the other names are housekeeper, laundromat service, cook, driver, nurse, referee, teacher, friend, rule enforcer, and the list goes on and on. There are so many crazy days that I am so grateful for the days where it is complete bliss. They are far and few, but there are some. And when they come, Ben and I really appreciate them.
(just to clarify . . . I love my job as MOM and all the extra titles that come along with it. I would never trade my job as a mom or my kids, they are all definately one of a kind. I just think that I am going to be in desperate need for some Whitney time and in even more need for a Ben and Whitney trip. )

2 comments:

Lanae said...

Oh, I know what you mean! We should all give our moms big hugs and tell them how much we love them on a daily basis - now that we can see what they went through for us.

Melanie Bingham said...

I've done that try to hold a kid and push a stroller thing and it's HARD! And try to hold one child while the other one gets blood drawn or xrays...That's when you wish you had 8 stretchy arms. You made it though. Good Job!!!!