Monday, April 26, 2010

Weekend Away

FLYING KITES . . . . .

One of the main things that both kids wanted for Christmas was kites. So Santa brought kites and there hasn't been much wind, til this weekend in St George. Friday it was a bit windy, and good thing cause we brought the kites hoping to fly them. Ben went out with the kids and got those kites pretty high. Sam and Mason were so excited about it. This is the first time that they have really flown their own kites.





CROSSFIT WORK OUT (WOD) . . . .
Everyone finally got down on Friday. Nicholas, Rebecca and Charly came down Thursday with us and Hilary, Mckay, Rebekah and Matt came down Friday morning. We all had lunch and headed out to do a little crossfit workout, lead by our very own Nicholas and Rebecca. We probably looked so funny out on the golfing green doing squats, pushups, and crunches. It was so cute though, after Sam was done flying her kite she headed over to work out with Aunt Rebekah. I made sure not to do too many squats as to not get too sore for the 13.1 miles I would be running the next day.




SWIMMING AT THE AQUATIC CENTER . . . .
The kids had so much fun swimming at the indoor swimming pool last month when we went, that we had to go again. The only problem was that the water was a bit colder than I remembered it being last time. But that didn't stop Sam and Mason; and the Aunts and Uncles for that matter. Mason still went down the slide over and over and over. Samantha was just happy splashing around in the shallow end. Luella waded with me for a bit, but then it got a little chilly so we got out to sit under the heater to get warm. Samantha and Mason were in heaven having so many people to play with. They love playing with their aunts and uncles. All of the aunts and uncles on both my side and Ben's side are so good to my kids. Sam and Mason love them so much.







HURRICANE HALF MARATHON . . . .
So there has been method in my madness for doing these races. My siblings and I signed up for a runners series so that we could automatically get into the St George Marathon. So the Hurricane Half is the last race that we needed to complete. We all headed to the start at 5:30 am and the race started at 6:30. Rebecca and Rebekah walked the half. Matt ran the 5k and Hilary, Mckay and I ran the half. (Nicholas decided that it would be best for him to stay back and let cute little Charly sleep). So Mckay told me from the beginning that it was every man for himself. So Hilary, Mckay and I started running together, but that all changed around mile 1. Mckay took off and ran ahead of Hilary and me. Hilary was so great! She could have easily kept up with Mckay, but she told me that she would stay me (even if that meant that we would walk a bit). It was so much fun to chat and have her with me the whole time. I had to walk a bit more than I wanted, but there was a killer hill; and I mean killer, and my knee was also really hurting this time. Last race it didn't hurt until around mile 9, but this time it was hurting more around mile 6. So we ran a bunch and walked some too. But really, Hilary was my saving grace!!!!!
When we came around the bend for the home stretch I was sure that Ben would've been there to take our pictures. But he wasn't there, and I didn't want to re-inact the final steps again so Hil and I just got a picture once Ben got there. It was so much fun to do the race with everyone. But even a couple days later and my knee still really really hurting; I am questioning whether or not my body (knees) could handle a full marathon. I will have to think about whether or not I am going to sign up for the St George Marathon. But I will have to think fast because the deadline to sign up is May 1st. So, as much fun as it was, I'm just not quite sure if I'm up for a full, long 26.2 mile marathon. But there really is some kind of great sense of self accomplishment, and that part I really do love.






It was such a fun weekend to be down there with some of my siblings. The kids had a blast. Every night they were so exhausted from playing so hard that they just went right to bed. One of the nights, Mason even asked Ben to put him to bed. How adorable.
(by the way, I think that our kids are part fish. We went to the pool 2 times on Saturday after the race. I couldn't believe how much Sam and Mason loved the water. They were jumping in and swimming to the side. They just couldn't get enough of it. Ben took a turn catching them the first time we went and I took a turn the second time we went out. They are going to go crazy at bear lake, they will just love being in the water ALL DAY LONG!)

1 comments:

Anna-Lisa said...

Good Job Whitney - I know how you feel about that great sence of accomplishment after a race. It's fun huh? I wish I could go do the marathon with you if you do it.