Wednesday, October 20, 2010

MASON'S 1ST TRIP TO THE DENTIST

Mason had been complaining about a tooth hurting a week ago, so I figured it was time to take him in to have a real check up at the dentist. It had almost been 6 months for Sam so she needed to have her teeth cleaned anyways. So we headed in last Thursday to have them both checked. My sister Rebekah was so sweet and came with me to help out with Lu and go in with Sam while her teeth were being cleaned. So Beks went in with Sam and I headed in with Mason. Mason sat on my lap and the Dr took a look at his teeth. He started naming off a bunch and I said that all those better not be cavaties. Well, he said that there were possibly 2 teeth that needed crowns and maybe 4 more cavaties that needed to be filled. SERIOUSLY?! HOW IN THE CRAP DOES THAT HAPPEN FOR A 31/2 YEAR OLD?! Well, the Dr recomended we go see a pediatric dentist, which means a sedation to get the work done. Sad for Mason. So we didn't end up even getting x rays or cleaning his teeth, and Samantha got her teeth cleaned and had 2 cavaties that needed to be filled, so Bekah sat out with Mason and Lu and I went in with Sam. Samantha did so great, she was so brave. It was so nice to have Rebekah there with me to help out, an extra pair of hands is so great and always appreciated. Then the kids and I were heading to play with cousins and Honey and Rebekah offered to take Luella home for a nap while I took the older ones. She is so great.

So back to Mason and the dentist. I made an appointment for a pediatric dentist for the next day, so my mom was so great to come and help out with my kids. (seriously, what would I do without my family, they are my saving grace!!!) So Mason and I headed to yet another dentist and he said the same thing. But he said that he couldn't get us in til the beginning of December. So I went home and talked to Ben and as we talked over the weekend, and Mason cried everytime he ate anything and was up crying at night because his mouth hurt, we decided that Mason couldn't wait til December (that would be cruel). So Monday morning I called their office and just told them that I would love for them to do the work, but I couldn't wait til December. So at first they told me that I could come in on Tuesday and get part of it done, but he wouldn't be completely sedated, he would still be awake, just out of it. I told them that wouldn't work, if they knew Mason, they would know why. So then they told me that they had an opening on Wednesday for the full shebang. All the work done and totally and completely sedated. SOLD! So I made sure Ben could be home and we planned on it.

Last night we put Mason to bed and I swear he was up all night long crying about his teeth. So we were up all night with him. Finally, I don't know what time; Mason, Samantha, Ben and I were all asleep in our bed. Since we had all finally fallen asleep and were actually sleeping none of us heard the alarm and when I woke up we realized what time it was (7:40 am) we all had to scramble to get Mason dressed, me dressed and get me some breakfast and out the door. Poor little Mason didn't get any breakfast, and on the way he was asking for it. I felt so bad. We got to the Dr's office and right away the anethesiologist came out and told me what was going to happen. He had Mason sit on my lap and hold him close to me in a hug, and had him pick out a prize or two while they gave him a little shot in the bum. They said in a few minutes he would start to get not with it. Well, I could see his eye lids getting heavy, then he looked at me with blank eyes like he couldn't see me (that was really sad), he was trying to say "mom" but it was getting to the point where he couldn't even get his words out. He was playing with his prizes and he just sat there with his hands up in the air, holding his toys. Once I took his toys away, he was completely out. It was so cute, and so sad. The anethesiologist came and picked him up and carried him off, and I wasn't allowed to come back and watch. I wanted to come back and watch my baby and make sure he was ok, but I didn't want to worry about him so it was best for me to be out in the waiting area.

It did not take long at all. I was surprised when the Dr came back and told me I could come to see Mason. He looked so cute, just this little limp body laying in the chair, he was still kinda asleep and trying really hard to wake up. I started talking to him and rubbing his arm and letting him know I was there. His eyes looked so heavey, he couldn't focus on me, and he couldn't even get his words out. He was really trying hard and once he could kinda talk, he was asking for mommy and asking where daddy is and saying that he wanted to go to his home. He was the cutest thing in the world. So when the Dr told me I could tkae him home, I picked up my heavy little man, and put him in the front seat of the car. I laid down the seat and strapped him in and held his hand the whole way home. He kept trying to sit up, and I would ask him to lay back down. I asked him to smile at me and he was still really out of it, but he turned his head in my direction and gave me the best smile he could. I asked him how he was doing and he told me that he was busy. He said he couldn't walk cause he was busy. When we got closer to home, there was a shadow on the door and I looked over and he had his hand up by the shadow and was waving it back and forth saying "look mom I'm making a game." Seriously he was so funny. Then I carried him in and Ben met us and took him into his arms and Mason was so excited to see his daddy. We laid him down to watch a movie with Sam, and we would ask him how he was doing and he kept saying he was busy. It took him til about lunch time to finally be able to walk by himself and not be so out of it. I held him up to the mirror and showed him his teeth. He saw his crowns (which are silver) and he thought it was pretty cool. He said he had blue teeth. He was so great all day, then when I tucked him in tonight, we said a prayer, gave hugs and kisses and then he told me I looked like a balloon. I asked if that was when he was waking up earlier, and he said yes. Heopfully I don't look like a balloon right now. Then he asked me to lay down with him, so I snuggled up with him and laid with him til he was asleep.

Even though it was a hard day for Mason, it was a sweet day for mom cause it was nice to be needed by my little guy. I love it when he needs me, and I'm glad Ben let me go be with him at the doctors. He will be so muc happier now that his teeth are fixed. I don't know how long they had been bothering him, but I'm so glad we got it done now!!!

These 2 pictures are of Mason while he was still not really with it. I asked him to give me a smile and this is about the best he could do. Still so dang cute!

0 comments: