Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Apples and Mowing the Lawn

My kids are always so excited to go and visit Grandma B and Uncle Micah. So, we stopped on our way home from visiting daddy at his new work. Grandma and Micah were in the backyard just cleaning up and getting ready for fall and winter; putting furniture away and such. Well, I remembered last summer that the little grandkids would help Grandma pick up apples off the ground (my mom has 3 apple trees in a row). It is a job that is actually pretty fun for little kids. I remember having that chore when I was younger. So, we got Sam and Mace each a 5 gallon bucket and told Mason to make baskets with the apples and they went to town.
They had a blast picking up the apples and yelling to us to look and see what a great job they were doing. It was really cute. Then they said they were done and we walked over and they had pretty much filled the entire bucket. It was so great that they were so excited to be helping and it probably helped that my mom told them she would give them some monies too. So, we dumped the apples out, picked each of them a good apple off the tree and they sat and ate their apples, and grandma got some monies and counted out 20 pennies, 2 nickles, 2 dimes and 2 quarters for each of them. A whole dollar, they were so excited.
Then we headed to the front yard to watch grandma mow the lawn. Well, I came out to see cute little Samantha walking with Grandma helping her mow. It was so cute, she was just thrilled to be helping. I love to see my kids learn good life skills and lessons, and who better to teach them (besides Ben and I) than my parents. I was always so grateful for the lessons that my parents taught me, and I love watching my kids and parents interact. And I hope that they remember the things that they learn from their Grandma and Grandpa B.
Part of the cutest thing was that right when we got home, the kids went straight to their little banks (which Grandma B gave them) and put their monies in them. It was just such a great visit to Grandma's house.

0 comments: