Saturday, November 20, 2010

HOPEFULLY IT STICKS

I am thankful for the teaching moments that I have with my little kids. They aren't all the time, but when they come I hope that the little lessons stick in their little brains.
Last week Samantha brought home a library book that she had checked out from her school library. She was so excited that she got to go to the library, and that she got to bring her book home. Of course she checked out a lengthy book (it was a cute book about the easter bunny), so we sat in bed Monday night and read half of the book before she went to bed. She even got a book marker from school to save her place. This is the real deal, she thought it was great. So we left the book on her bed, cause that is where she likes to have her books while she sleeps. (probably cause then they are close when she wakes up and she can just start looking at them).

Well, maybe a day passed and I asked her where her book was so we could finish the story. She didn't know and we couldn't find it anywhere. We searched and searched and nothing. I told her to tell her teacher we couldn't find it, and see what she said. Sam came home and told me that her teacher said to tell me we need to look for it. If Sam didn't bring it back and couldn't find it she would have to pay for it, and wouldn't be able to check books out anymore.

We searched and searched. We went through Samantha's room . . . . nothing. Mason's room . . . . nothing. For the next couple days we looked and finally on Friday I knew we had to look everywhere because she had to return in that day. So I decided that I would forgo the gym (I;m trying to off set all this weight by going to the gym and running a few miles), and stay home and look for the book. Samantha and I were in her room looking and I had the thought that we should say a prayer and ask Heavenly Father to help us find her book. So Samantha and I knelt down and Samantha said the prayer. She prayed that Heavenly Father would help her find her library book so she wouldn't have to pay for it and so she could check other books out at the library. Very short and sweet but to the point.

Immediatley after we finished the prayer she looked at me and said "well, that didn't work."

I then explained to her that sometimes it takes time for our prayers to be answered, and it also takes faith. I told her that we need to have faith that Heavenly Father will answer our prayers. So we looked for a bit more but still didn't find anything. We did a little homework and then it was time to get in the shower and get ready or the day. Sam and I headed into my room, and even though we had looked in EVERY SINGLE ROOM in our house I had a thought to look inbetween the mattress and footboard of my bed. So I looked and what did I find? THE LIBRARY BOOK!!!

I brought it out and said to Samantha "look what I found?!" Right away she got a big smile on her face. So then I told her that maybe we should say another prayer and thank Heavenly Father for hearing our prayer, listening and answering. We knelt down and she asked me to say the prayer.

It was such a sweet experience to be able to tell her about how Heavenly Father listens to our prayers. That we need to have faith that he will hear us, and answer us. And that to show our love we thank him for helping us. These are the times where it is so precious and rewarding to be a mom. I love Samantha, Mason and Luella so much and am so grateful i get to be able to stay home to teach them these little lessons, little but very important. It was such a great teaching moment and it gave me such a great feeling that stayed with me the rest of the day!

2 comments:

Mama Jo said...

Nice job Mom! One time my dad prayed to find the holes for the volleyball poles at Bear Lake. The grass had grown and we couldn't find them. A sort of simple (maybe silly) prayer, but by darn, we prayed and found the poles. We need to 'ask' and 'listen' more often. Very nice Mothering!
Love, Honey

Tiffany said...

You must have the faith of a ....well a REALLY good person! Because it seems like everytime you pray to find something...the heavens open and lo and behold....there is thing you were looking for! :) Okay....here's a list of things I need you to start praying for me: one lost tourqoise forget me not earing, my watch, my health, and last but not least....and do I dare say it...my chest! :) JUST KIDDING!