Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Faith

It was black as coal on a moonless night, with no light in the sky at all. I led my horse past dangerous cliffs, and hoped that we didn't fall. We stumbled north, about 20 feet, in the direction I thought was right. Then my horse just stopped & refused to go, or follow me into the night. You stupid horse, you stubborn beast you better follow me? I know the way; I think I'm sure, if only I could see. But the horse just stood, and held his ground like a rock of solid stone. I was tired and cold, so I mounted up, and told him to take me home. And I was scared at first, ‘cuz' I couldn't see, and blind as a bat at night. Then he slowly turned and headed south like he could see without a light. So I dropped the reins and let him go, ‘cuz we were out on a dangerous limb. And though I was blind, my horse could see, and I put my faith in him. Time has past and I never returned to that spot on the mountainside, Where all alone, in the black of night I stumbled and almost died. Then one clear day when the sun was out, and I could see my way, I think I found where I was that night, and it scares me still today. Because every direction we could have gone, was a cliff with a jagged edge. And my horse could see, what I could not, as we walked toward the ledge. And I cursed that horse that saved my life, ‘cuz he wouldn't follow me When he saw the trail I was about to take, and dangers I couldn't see. But I still recall, the way I felt, and it's locked inside my brain. When many times on the trails of life, I've been lost and felt the same. So I dropped the reins and let it go, when I'm out on a dangerous limb. And though I am blind, Someone can see, and I'll put my faith in Him. Wayne W. Burton

0 comments: