Sunday, April 3, 2011

MASON'S HUGE SUCCESS

This past week has been so dang exhausting! Who would have thought that teaching someone to go potty on the toilet would be so tiring. Mason turned 4 last month and I figure it would be in my best interest (not to have 3 kids in diapers) and in Mason's best interest (so he can go to pre school next fall) to get the potty training done before the new baby comes. We are kind of on a time line. This little boy will be here in a short 4 1/2 weeks.

So right after we got home from St George Mason told me he wanted to wear unders. I had the intention of taking this weekend and just letting him run around naked and getting it done. We were already going to be home anyways because of conference and Ben would be home Sunday to help. But he just really wanted to wear his big boy unders. So we put them on and the first day we had some little accidents, and not really any success of peeing or pooping in the potty. Then come Wednesday we wore the unders and by the time we came home from Grandma B's house and there had been a couple more accidents I was about ready to give up. THEN IT CLICKED!!!
I knew that if he could just pee in the potty, it would click and he would understand how it all works. And that is exactly what happened. When he pee'd in the potty I almost wanted to cry I was so happy, and he looked so happy because he could see that Mom was so happy. It's amazing how mom's attitude affects and changes how the kids act. After he did it, and saw how happy I was it was all high 5's, hugs, kisses, and I love you's!!!! It was such a huge success, and he has done so awesome since. The next day he woke up and right after he went potty in the morning he asked if he could go to school now. He wanted to go to school that very day. He knew that was one of the things that would happen when he was potty trained. He was sad when I tried to explain to him that he couldn't go to school til the fall, but there have been so many prizes and treats to reward him that I think he is ok with not going to school right now.

Who knew that potty training one of your kids could bring so much happiness!!!!

1 comments:

Posh Ideas said...

Congrats Whit I'm so happy for you both! Seriously I have been there and tears of joy all around! What a releif to not have 3 in diapers!